Monday, December 1, 2014

Thing #23

I'm still shocked that I never knew about Creative Commons before this class. I know when I was keeping a blog when I homeschooled, I would do an image search and grab a picture to go with whatever I was talking about. Sometimes I would link back to it and sometimes I wouldn't. I know that's not a good thing. Although in my defense I never claimed a picture to be my own, but I know now that doesn't make any difference. As I'm typing this, something came to mind. A few years ago I took this amazing picture of my daughter face to face (there was glass between them) with a polar bear at the Memphis Zoo. It's precious and one of my favorite things. I was so excited that I threw it up on my homeschool blog. Unfortunately I never thought to copyright it and a year or so ago I saw some random person had it on Pinterest. I know they weren't necessarily claiming it to be their own, because if you see a cute picture on Pinterest you tend to just save it. I reckon I should look into copyrighting it, but I don't know what the statute of limitations is on it or if there is one? Moving on... The one example I saw that the 23 Things was based on someone else's work was the following note at the bottom of the page: Note: This project is loosely based upon the website 43Things (which allows you to set and track personal goals) and the Stephen Abram article titled 43 Things I (or You) might want to do this year (Information Outlook - Feb 2006). The idea itself was based on this website, but it was tweaked enough to be different that it didn't no infringe on anyone's original work or idea. The 23 Things is also similar enough to the 43 Things that a note such was this was necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment